June 2020 Favorites
The scars you share become lighthouses for other people who are headed to the same rocks you hit.
- Will Schroder worked a year on this series about Happiness and already released the first part What is Happiness?. It’s incredibly good!
- What I’ve Learned created the video Willpower is for Losers
- The channel Jordan Peterson Animation created a beautiful animated video about The Value of Beauty out of Jordan Peterson’s lecture.
- Kurzgesagt created the animation video Who Is Responsible for Climate Change?
- To Scale took a telescope out and let people look at the moon.
- Half as Interesting told the story of the guy who chose ’NULL‘ as a license plate.
- Simplicissimus investigated how the perfect beer glass looks like 🇩🇪.
- After Skool published a half-hour long documentary about Psilocybin.
- Abroad in Japan explains why he doesn’t watch Japanese TV.
- Eric Dodson talks about the Addiction to Distraction.
- Charisma on Command shows the techniques Joe Rogan uses to command respect in a conversation.
- Jason Fried from Basecamp shows interested people around their new email tool HEY. Even though it’s a little too expensive for me, I think it’s one of the best approaches to email I’ve ever seen. A lot of unique ideas the competitor will steal most likely.
- Better Ideas shared a video with a tip on prioritizing internal improvement over external improvement for long-term success.
- Kraig Adams spend 5 days hiking alone on the 100 mile Resurrection Pass Trail in Alaska. Impressive landscapes and bears!
- I learned some really helpful tips on the channel of Microsoft Developer on how to use GitHub with Visual Studio Code.
- TED-Ed has Jane Goodall narrating the story “What happened when we all stopped”. Also available as a free book.
- Einzelgänger explained the Taoist principle of the Fasting of the Heart. He also made a video about the philosophy of Fight Club.
- Transliminal did a very interesting, long interview with Dr. Jordan B Peterson about Relgion, Myth, Science, and Truth.
- leManoosh created a short video that explains how to design like Apple.
- Josh Gad brought the Fellowship of the Ring back together for a good cause.
- Kings and Generals explained the origins of the Kievan Rus. I also found a really interesting documentary about the origins of the Order of Assassins.
- Voices of the Past reads from an old source describing how the first Japanese Visitor Described American Life in 1860. Another source describes the first Japanese visitor to Europe in 1862, and a third The Birth of Modern Japan.
- Visual Politik made a documentary about The Conquest of Hong Kong and explores the idea, what would happen if Kim Jong-Un disappeared?.
- It’s really interesting how good Paul Joseph Watson can comment on a problem just using video clips and newspaper articles. This time he comments on the occupied zones established in some cities and another sarcastic and funny commentary about Things That Didn’t End Racism.
- Eric Weinstein had some really important thoughts about Lynching, Police Brutality, BLM, and Defunding the Police and about the Science Shutdown.
- The Truth Factory did some really good commentary on the protests and a fact-based documentary behind the Secret Agenda Behind Black Lives Matter.
- PragerU had some really interesting people on their channel: The black police sheriff David Clarke who told from his perspective what harm the movement Black Lives Matter creates and Derryck Green, a black writer and researcher of the civil rights movement talked about why Black Lives Matter isn’t helping the blacks. Denis Prager talked in his Fireside chat about the fragility of freedom. Very interesting was also the truth about Ferguson, explained by Larry Elder.
- Jocko Willink had a message to Police, Protestors, and People and discussed how to develop “Man Skills”.
- Joe Rogan talked on his Podcast with Bill Burr. He also talked to Jocko Willink, a retired Navy SEAL officer.
- Jonathan Pie reminded that Black Lives Matter is a movement and not a competition to see which white person is the most WOKE. He also has another really good video about Woke Utopia.
- CGP Grey created two funny videos adapted from the book The Invisible Hook: How to be a Pirate: Captain Edition and How to be a Pirate: Quartermaster Edition.
- Casually Explained explained Working From Home. Which type of person post-lockdown are you?
- AwakenWithJP explained how you know When You Take Spirituality TOO SERIOUSLY. He also showed how the Left vs. Right acts in 2020. I laughed really hard on his video The Problem With Being Vegan in 2020.
- We the Internet TV shows the worst people in a Pandemic.
- Like Stories of Old released the final part of the 3-part series Stories vs. Reality: Who Are We Without Storytelling?. He also released a fantastic video essay on the cinema of Terrence Malick
- The Beauty Of created a collage of Silence by Martin Scorsese.
- The Nerdwriter created an interesting video essay discussing Why Did Ozu Cut To A Vase?.
- After watching the movie Parasite, I rewatched the two fantastic videos by The Nerdwriter, Parasite’s Perfect Montage and Parasite: Perfecting Class Critique by Wisecrack.
- Just Write created a video about why Hunger Games is the more compelling Revolution story because it rejects the aura of the chosen one and instead focusses on collective action.
- Hugo Cornellier created an incredible time-lapse video showing him from age 12 to his marriage.
- The Beauty Of created a really nice collage of Dark time fit to the start of the final season.
- I discovered with Hello Future Me a new YouTube channel when a co-worker shared Hard Worldbuilding vs. Soft Worldbuilding | A Study of Studio Ghibli with me.
- Output did an interview with the cellist Tina Guo. She was forced to play the Cello for 8 hours every day as a kid, no wonder she is so good today.
- Tina Guo did another fantastic live stream playing the Skyrim Main Theme on her cello.
- Samara Ginsberg played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for 10 cellos.
- Sacret Games 2 – The second season finally unraveled the secrets around the conspiracy and ended with a huge cliff-hanger. The story is really interesting, but the constant time jumps and the language doesn’t make it easy to follow. N
- Gotham 5 – The last season of this really nice prequel to the Batman story. N
- Chef’s Table 5N
- New Girl 7 – Another last season of a funny TV show I really loved to watch. N
- F is for Family 4 – I love Bill Burr in this role as the angry father Frank Murphy. N
- Rick and Morty 4 – Even though Netflix just streamed the first half of the new season, for now, it’s still one of the funniest animation TV show available. I can’t wait for the second half of the season to be released. N
- Anne with an E 3 – Also the last season for this lovely TV show. N
- Dark 3 – I just started with the final season, but damn Dark is good. N
- Parasite – This was the best movie I’ve seen in a long time about wealth and inequality. P
- The Imitation Game – The story of the legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing in his race to creak the code of the Enigma encryption machine. N
- Racist Police Violence Reconsidered
- Stories and Data – Reflection on Race, Riots, and Police
- Three Common Fallacies in Arguments About Systemic Racism
- Neo-Totalitarianism and the Erasure of History
- On Race and Inequality—A Reply to Nathan J. Robinson
- Escape the Echo Chamber
- You’re sitting wrong — and your back knows it. Here’s how to sit instead
- Building a Hexagonal Grid Using CSS Grid
- Mākena Golf & Beach Club
- Clear Sky at Night: If Light Pollution Cleared
- Carlos Serrao
- Ys Dental Clinic
- Elliot Jay Stocks relaunched his website with a brand new design.
- How a Japanese Designer Is Using Traditional Crafts to Change Our Perception of Disposable Product
- The Muji Clock 2.0 Unfolds Time for the Nearsighted
- Voyages à moto
- Daniele Buffa
- iA – Digital Product Studios relaunched a very minimalistic and pretty new site.
- What Happened When We All Stopped is a free book also narrated by Dr. Jane Gooodall.
- Socially Awkward Misfit is a really funny comic about an introverted, anxious, awkward misfit.
- I got two brand new Sonos 5 thanks to a replacement program. The sound is fantastic and they are capable to create a Dolby Surround system in combination with the PlayBar.
- Abduzeedo created with Calmaria a free app to focus, breathe, and relax.
- Reflex is a flexible react component library for Gatsby.
- DUST, the fantastic platform streaming free Sci-Fi short films is now available outside of the US on the different apps.
A funny quote from the TV show Community, where Britta Perry (Gillian Jacobs) does a speech about the importance of freedom of speech:
Britta Perry: We’re talking about freedom of speech! It's the amendment so important it's literally the first one they remembered to add!
Elroy Patashnik: For white people.
Francesca Dart: With penises.
Jeff Winger: We preferred to be called people without color or vaginas.
Jocko Willink on the Joe Rogan Experience #1492 – Jocko Willink about the danger of emotional reaction:
No one makes good decisions when they are emotional. I spend my adult life trying to train humans to not get emotional in pressure situations. Why? Because it’s gonna end bad every single time. Every single time. And yet, that’s where our society is based on right now. It’s based on these emotional reactions.
Don’t try to be better than the other guy, just try to be better than you were the day before.